Thursday, June 28, 2012

tears on my feet.

as i followed a nanny from room to room,
waiting for instructions, she mumbled language to the children telling them to go on.
one little tike was left behind wailing on the floor
sweeping him up i turned the corner...
seeing i must care little black hands and feet started to move, 
they swarmed my winter white legs and tears filled their eyes.
their hands shot up and they looked deep within me as they spoke and cried,
"up, up, uppie, up!"
i spoke and tapped each one on the head overwhelmed, not knowing what to do as they screamed for love
a fed up nanny grumbled, "outside, outside now!"
as my white legs moved so did the ocean of black bodies, none would let go.
they continued to plea.
i climbed the hut steps and the children wailed and grabbed at my shorts.
and that's when i noticed it
i looked down as tears fell onto my dirty feet
they covered my toes
not rain drops
but tears.

No comments:

Post a Comment